[cups] Problem with remote printing; Cannot change printer-is-shared for remote queues.

Jonatan Schlag jonatan at familyschlag.de
Wed Dec 28 11:11:39 PST 2016

Hi I have a problem with a remote printer my setup is

"Server"
Debian 8
Cups 1.7.5
driver: epson-inkjet-printer-escpr 1.6.10-1lsb3.2 (Seiko Epson
Corporation LSB 3.2)
local epson printer connected via usb

Client A
Debian 8
Cups 1.7.5
driver: raw
use ipp to connect to the server

Client B
Arch Linux
latest cups
driver: should be raw
use ipp to connect to the server

When I print a test page on the Server everything works fine.

Then I set up Client A and choose raw as the driver, but the driver is
set to the driver of the Server and I cannot print. (The content is
filtered twice and so I get garbage.)

So I modified the "printer" on Client A and set the driver once again
to raw and then Client A works.

When I set up the next client (B) in the begin the same as on A happen
on B. I choose raw but the driver is set to the driver of the Server
and I cannot print. When I now try to modify this printer to use the
raw driver instead I get the following error:
Cannot change printer-is-shared for remote queues.
on Client B.

So my Question is what did I do wrong or how can I achieve that I can
print from all local computers without installing the driver on every
local computer?

Thanks for all help and answers.

Regards Jonatan