[cups] Cups default/private job options

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Fri Mar 8 10:33:01 PST 2019

El 8/3/19 a les 14:58, Johannes Meixner ha escrit:

>> So, let me adapt my question. If I have a parameter,
>> for instance a paper size, or color or black and I,
>> as a system administrator want to fix it and not let
>> the users to changed, how can I do it?
>
> When it is about options in a PPD file, see
>
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Print_Settings_with_CUPS
>
> how that works and what you as administrator can do.
>
> That article is somewhat old so that this or that detail
> may have changed but in general it should still apply.

that article is very interesting. It gave me the key point:

> "There is no such thing as "THE" default settings for a print queue."

> See also "What is a PPD file and how does it work?" in
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
>

> In contast CUPS generic options that are not in a PPD file
> see https://www.cups.org/doc/options.html
> can of course not be managed by editing the PPD file.
> I don't know if CUPS generic options can be managed at all.

well, this is something that I have to look deeply. However I have not
seen how to override an option made by the user.

Best regards,

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia