[cups] force Print-Job instead of Create-Job/Send-Document ?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Jan 16 22:35:30 PST 2020

All-

Is there a way to force recent Mac systems with CUPS 2.2.x to "downgrade"
their behavior so that they use Print-Job rather than Create-Job followed
by Send-Document?

With Print-Job, the (single) data file arrives with the job.

With Create-Job followed by Send-Document, there can be a delay of several
seconds (possibly longer for some jobs) between the Create-Job and the
Send-Document.  There are potentially many factors that impact how long
the delay is between the two operations, but even how complex the PPD is
for the queue appears to be a factor.

We're using some commercial software to do print accounting on our
campus central CUPS print server, and part of what the software does is
examine the job data file(s) to pagecount it/them.  With jobs submitted
via Print-Job, the data file is always in place when the software receives
the notification.  With Create-Job+Send-Document, the commercial software
has a race condition because it may be notified of the new job number
and try to pagecount the data file before the Mac client has sent it
via Send-Document.

I realize the correct fix is to have the commercial software handle
both types of job submission, but until I can work that out with the
vendor, I'm hoping there's a workaround we can try that allows us to
get the Mac clients to prefer using Print-Job rather than the 2-step
process.

Thanks!

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)