[cups] Tea4Cups question

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Wed May 12 09:06:54 PDT 2021

> Am 10.05.2021 um 15:52 schrieb serando <serando at sunrise.ch>:
>
> Hello Helge
>

> Thank you very much for your answer. I was successful with "the full absolute path":
>
> prehook_2 : lp -d ENVY-5540-series /home/user/loschcups.txt
> and also with
> prehook_2 : su $TEAUSERNAME -c "lp -d ENVY-5540-series /user/D-Konto/loschcups.txt"
>

> But I run into another issue now:
> ---------------------------------------
> When I print my loschcups.txt (see attachment) directly with my normal HPLIP printer, I get an other print result, than when I print the same file with my virtual Tea4Cups printer.
>
> I have first print with my normal HPLIP printer, after I have put the same sheet of paper in the printer again. Now I have printed with the Tea4Cups printer.
> So I have both prints on the same paper. This way we can see the difference. (see attachment Tea4cups.pdf).
>
> As you can see: The position of the character "8" was printed on different positions on the paper. The print I have made with the tea4cups printer is at the top left corner. Only the half of the character "8" is visible. The other character "8" which is well visible is from the HPLIP print.
>
> This is the entry I had in the file Tea4cups.conf for this experiment:
> prehook_2 : su $TEAUSERNAME -c "lp -d ENVY-5540-series /home/user/loschcups.txt"
>

> How did I print?
> -------------------
> Answer:
> The print with HPLIP I made this way:
> Opened the loschcups.txt (This automatically opens featherpad)
> Featherpad (this is my editor) ->File->print->chosen my HPLIP printer ->pressed "print" button
>
> The print with Tea4cups I made this way:
> Opened Featherpad. So I had a new empty page.
> Featherpad (This is my editor) ->File->print->chosen my Tea4cups printer ->pressed "print" button
>

> Question:
> Why are this two prints different?
> Please note: The properties of my virtual Tea4cups printer and my HPLIP printer are the same.
>
> Thank you.

Hello Serando,

I managed to rebuild your configuration (mostly, without the real printer, of course), and
the printout of the loschcups.txt was the same when printed via tea4cups or directly.
But, as I some time ago replaced the textto… filters by my own homegrown filter(s), I cannot guarantee
if my results are identical with yours.
Are you sure you used the very same print queue in both cases?

Helge