[cups] print into pipe with cups 2.x

Jörg Thümmler listen at vordruckleitverlag.de
Mon Feb 21 01:16:24 PST 2022

Hi,

it's maybe a "new feature" of cups 2.x, but i'm not sure:

i had a printer on an old cups 1.x linux system printing into a pipe
because of some special cmds after then and at the end printing by lpr.
The pipe's deviceURI was "pipe:/usr/local/bin/cups_pipeprint printerxxx"
All was ok.

Now i have the same thing on a newer linux with cups 2.x and that - at
least the web interface - doesn't allow a deviceURI entry with a space
char inside. I tried to use "" but same error.

Does someone know: Is it generally forbidden now to use space chars in
the pipe's name (maybe for some security reason) or would it be possible
to use it in lpadmin.

Background: On the 1.x system the pipe URI did contain the
"cups_pipeprint" named pipe program and the name of the printer, which
was printing the job after handling in the pipe. I saw, typical URIs as
"cups_pipeprint&printer=printerxxx" are suggested, but that will be just
a long file name, not one with an argument.
I use symlink now: cups_pipeprint_printerxxx -> cups_pipeprint and
extract the real pipe's name by $0 (bash) so i see, where to print. Not
as flexible as sending an argument in the deviceURI string...

thx for any suggestions/hints in that case

--
cu

jth